Thursday, May 29, 2008

For those of you who don't read the comments ...

Steve Perry writes:

And one of the funniest ever stories in SF came from his daughter, Astrid. She was taking a science fiction class and there was a quiz question: Why did Robert A. Heinlein write Stranger in a Strange Land?

She answered "For the money."

Teacher marked it wrong, she went up to see him. "Why did you mark this wrong?"

Teacher laughed. "Why did you answer it that way?"

She said, "Because he was at my house talking to my dad and I asked him why he wrote it and that's what he said ..."

4 comments:

Uliari said...

lol, I love that one...classic. What teacher plans for that answer? Right from the horse's mouth...

Steve Perry said...

It's a fairly new genre, relatively-speaking. If you consider the golden age of SF as the forties and fifties (or twelve, which is more to the point), then most of the heavyweights in the field were still around when many of us started reading it.

When I began writing thirty or so years ago, I met or corresponded with a lot of the icons -- Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein, Anderson, Leiber, Sturgeon.

The next generation -- Ellison, Silverberg, Herbert, Spinrad, Niven, Pournelle, Farmer, mostly are still around, and if you need to know why they wrote something, you can ask them ...

Uliari said...

True. I remember when the high point of my day was knowing that I lived near Herbert. And now I can read the semi-daily thoughts of some of my favorite writers.

Present company included...

Daniel Dvorkin said...

And the obvious question is, did she get the points back?