Friday, February 1, 2008

Gasol!

It's good to be a Lakers fan, and damn, I owe Mitch Cupcake an apology for all the times I thought bad (but true) things about his GM skills ...

Pau Gasol (18 points & 9 boards & 3 assists & 1.5 blocks) for Kwame (Yes They Wre Really Paying Him $9 Million A Year) Brown, Javaris Crittenton, and two first round picks which (if this trade is what it appears to be) will be near the bottom of the first round ...

Mitch, you stud. My man-love for you knows no bounds.

... ok, a few bounds. But you know what I mean.

~~~~~

Been a rough, busy few weeks. Some eye problems combined with too much travel. This weekend I'm at home with nothing scheduled -- last time that happened was before Christmas. I should be catching up with things, and I was going to wait until tomorrow to post, but this couldn't be allowed to pass ....

I'm ready for another parade. It's been six years since the last one and my two youngest don't remember it. It's wrong, them being denied their birthright as Lakers fans ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

BIRTHRIGHT!!?! BAH! I'm still angry they moved away.

Daniel Keys Moran said...

I feel you. It's been 30 years, almost, since Georgia Frontierre moved the Rams out of Los Angeles. I haven't rooted for another football team since (and didn't root for them, either, not when they were in Anaheim or now that they're in St. Louis.)

That said, I'm not sorry the Lakers are here. I am sorry it took Buss so many years to acknowledge the team's Minneapolis roots -- those banners should be hangiong along with the nine won in Los Angeles. (There's a single banner with all five years on it -- not the same.)

My nine year old was explaining knowledgeably recently that the "Lakers" were named that because they were the L.A. team -- L.A.kers ...

Daniel Keys Moran said...

In effect, the Lakers parlayed Shaquille O'Neal into Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, and Jordan Farmar (The Only NBA Player Ever Whose Shot I've Blocked(tm).)

Boy, that was a great trade.

Steve Perry said...

Only reason to watch the Lakers is to see what Jack Nicholson does courtside.

Anonymous said...

This sure looks like a good trade for LA, but at least one analyst is cautious:

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=126

And as for the Lakers' "parlay", that ignores the last few years (and the title Miami won with Shaq).

Still, they went out and got a very, very nice player without giving anything critical; gotta like that.

Daniel Keys Moran said...

Steve, I've sat a couple seats back of Jack -- mostly what he does is watch the women in the crowd with his binoculars. Though, to do him credit, he does watch the game, too ... though I'm not sure if he's watching the game in between the women, or vice versa ...

And whichever it is ... I'm not sure he's wrong. Both good uses of time.