Saturday, September 12, 2009

Happy Days ...

It's taken over a decade, but seven days after my number 2 daughter turned 18, freeing herself from the clutch of the Los Angeles Family Court system forever ... the court ruled that Bram, my 13 year old son, no longer had to have any contact with his biological father.

The boy is safe, and free, at long, long last.

More later, but all of you who've written over the years, offering advice or merely support -- many thanks.

Nusquam bonus venio ut Moran est inter, or so I hear. Considering the source, this is probably the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me.

I want to brag about the kids -- Alex is starting her second year at Cal Berkeley. Despite my income she got a partial scholarship this year because she performed so well last year; and she has two years of credits, after one year of college, because she performed so well on her AP classes in high school she got nearly a year's credits from it. Andrea is starting her last year of high school; last year she finished with a 4.3 GPA. Bram finished the seventh grade with straight A's. I don't really believe in grading on a curve -- the world doesn't care what trauma you had to get through to get the job done -- but certainly it speaks to the character of all them that they've done so well, and turned out so well, despite the death of their youngest brother and the presence of the monster in their lives.

I'm proud of you all.

15 comments:

ditmars1929 said...

Wow, that's the best news I've heard out of you in a long time! Congratulations to you and your family.

Glad to see the kids are doing so well, but what about Connor?

Daniel Keys Moran said...

Connor and Richard are the two kids Amy had with me. They're doing great. Amy and my sister and Andrea all went to Palm Springs for the weekend for a girls-weekend-out to celebrate Andrea's 18th birthday; Bram's spending the night with his best friend; and Richard and Connor and I are going to the park to play basketball.

"Life in San Francisco is still just life," to quote Augustus McCrae, which means you have to enjoy things wherever you are and no matter what's going on around you ...

... which is not the same thing as saying some circumstances aren't better than others. By God, they are.

Steve Perry said...

Now that is wonderful news. Hallelujah.

J.D. Ray said...

Two words for you and yours:

"Woo Hoo!"

I'm very happy for you and your family. I'm sure it's false to think so, but I sort of feel like we know your family through your posts here (evidenced by the fact that someone asked about Connor). It's good to know they're free, and that you are, too.

So, how does one (even as super-brained as Andrea) get a 4.3 GPA? Is that all A+ grades? She's the one that took us all to school on Aaron Burr, right?

Cheers to you.

X.T. said...

Just want to say "Gratz" to you and your family. Glad to hear the goodness :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news, Dan.

Dave

Anonymous said...

My very sincere congratulations.
I'm very glad to hear it.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mr. Moran! Through your posts I know your family has been dealing with this situation for many years. I'm sure an unspeakable weight has been lifted from you hearts. Cheers to living in greater freedom under the sun.

Daniel Keys Moran said...

You get a greater than 4.0 average by taking Advanced Placement classes, which are essentially college level classes given at the high school level. This does you good in two ways: 1, you get a higher GPA, which gets you into a better school; and 2, you get actual college credits if you get a 4 or 5 on the AP tests given in the subjects you're taking.

Alex, as I said in the post, got almost a year's worth of credits for her high school AP classes. She'll graduate in 3-1/2 years as a result, most likely. (She'll have all her credits after 3 years, probably, but she probably won't have all her required courses.)

I expect pretty much the same from all the kids. They're all doing well enough in school, there's no reason this shouldn't be what happens for each of them.

jj sutherland said...

Awesome news, Dan. Awesome news. Glad that long trial is finally over.

Yehuda said...

Mazel Tov!

Michael Brand said...

That's great news Dan! Really glad to hear that the doors have closed on that rough part of your families life. May it be nothing but happiness in the future.

My kids where pretty much in the same boat as yours considering the schooling, so I know how proud you must be of each of them.

eain said...

Excellent. On all counts.

Jesse Wendel said...

*Applauds*

Great news Dan. Really great. Congratulations to each of you. *smiles*

Doc Nebula said...

Congrats. I don't have a homicidal lunatic to deal with playing the role of my wife's ex husband and my kids' bio-dad, he's just an egocentric asshole who can't get it through his head that anyone else in the world is as important as he is. But still, he kicks up enough shit in my life that I can emote.