Tuesday, July 17, 2007

World War III starts today ...

According to The Armageddon Blues, anyway. I was having lunch with my oldest daughter the other day and was talking about things making me feel old. Mostly I feel the same as I ever did -- I'm fit, good energy, don't think my ability to assimilate new data has slowed any -- I can't go without sleep for days on end, which I once could; I can't get to the rim anymore, playing basketball, and if I play full court for more than an hour or so I really, really feel it the next day. And my sex drive has declined slightly, which is more a relief than otherwise. But otherwise, I feel like me ...

External events make me feel old, though. My daughter's going to college year after next; that's doing it. So is this ...

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Yea, don't think I'm not watching France LIKE A HAWK today.

Anonymous said...

The years are starting to get to me too. Inside I'm still 27 and can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. In reality I'm 43, it's more like "can jump over his own house with a bit of a running start".

I can still do most of the things I could do at 27, it's just that the price is higher. I can still do two or three days of no sleep, but I need to sleep hard when it's over. And all of the various body parts that saw heavy use as a martial artist? They hurt in the morning.

You know what's really pissing me off? My toes. I am getting arthritis in my toes. WTF is that? Arthritis is for Old People.

joseph said...

Just to add my two cents worth (sorry I am just now getting around to posting) Who would have thought it would have been France? Seriously France? They must have found our Akilies Tendon.

Sadly, the years have snuck up on me and issued one mammoth smack down atop my head. I was diagnosed with MS about ten years ago and it sucks. My 35 year old body feels like twice that most days. The brain still works well enough, just my body doesn't want to respond well to the commands.